Post From https://www.thepaleomom.com/podcast-paleo-dr-terry-wahls-2/
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite on Dr. Terry Wahls for a second part to discuss her thoughts on a new study of gluten free diets and her newest book.
Click here to listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean Player below
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 240: Dr. Terry Wahls Part 2
- Intro (0:00)
- News and Views (0:40)
- Stacy is going to put videos on YouTube! Stay tuned to her Facebook page for details!
- Sarah is filming a special project with the women of Autoimmune Wellness!
- A press release from the American Heart Association conference: Low Gluten Diets May Be Associated with Higher Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- List is a press release on not yet published study.
- Lowest gluten had 13% increase of Type 2 Diabetes.
- There was no gluten free groups and these people weren’t pursuing a low gluten diet.
- Corrected for fiber intake, but no other risk factors
- This finding contradicts all other studies comparing gluten-free diets and Type 2 Diabetes.
- In fact recent study came out with mice that found gluten-free diets could be therapeutic for Type 2.
- No statistically higher risk of Type 2 for celiac disease patients as well
- Dr. Terry Wahls is out guest (12:43)
- It’s a special show today! We have Dr. Terry Wahls on! She’s a real deal real foods hero who maintains her Multiple Sclerosis with a whole foods diet!
- She is the author of The Wahls Protocol and the upcoming The Wahls Protocol: Cooking for Life
- Dr Wahls hasn’t seen the press release, but seems like something from the trend of trying to debunk gluten free as a fad diet.
- While it’s true that some gluten free people replace gluten foods with more expensive non-gluten grains, it is certainly not a nutrient deficient diet to replace gluten with vegetables like Dr. Wahls recommends
- Many study authors seem to be trying to design studies to debunk gluten free and their methods are flawed. Reading a press release or an abstract makes it difficult to figure out whether the study is valid.
- Stacy always ask what nutrients are you missing out on that you can’t get from things that are not grains?
- They took 4 studies that correlated a large number of chronic health issues and tracked self reported food frequency. They split the groups into high gluten, medium gluten and low gluten and found the 13% lower risk in the high gluten group
- If you are sensitive then a low amount of gluten could maintain high inflammation
- They didn’t report any other health condition correlation. Could this mean there is none?
- There are studies out there that find that paleo diets could be good for diabetes. So why take this one study as definitive?
- Dr. Wahl’s new book is The Wahls Protocol: Cooking for Life
- She found that people who wanted to do her protocol were have trouble learning how to shift to cooking this way.
- The book is full of resources, techniques and tips and recipes.
- It’s also designed around templates and techniques on how to adapt the templates to their own preferences.
- If you want more from Dr. Wahls, check out her website and her books, The Wahls Protocol and the upcoming The Wahls Protocol: Cooking for Life
- And if you want to participate in her study and have MS, check out her site here.
- See Terry Wahls at her seminar in Cedar Rapids as well!
- Rate and Review us! Goodbye!
- Outro (35:38)
The post TPV Podcast Episode 240, Dr. Terry Wahls Part 2 appeared first on The Paleo Mom.